You're now at: 1 Molen de SterWe start our tour where the idea for it first started. On 15 May 2017, a group of activists and residents hosted a human rights café at Molen de Ster to discuss what should be done about Lombok's colonial street names. It was decided that, rather than campaign for their removal, a different light should be shed on them and this is what led to the birth of the Bitterzoete Route.
The mill itself dates from 1739 when the Van der Starren family commissioned a new sawmill to be built. In addition to the sawmill itself, there is a miller's house, a servant's house, timber sheds, slipway and beam harbour still on the site. Wood was an important material in the eighteenth century, with sawmills such as this one producing timber for the production of VOC ships. This particular sawmill, however, produced timber for houses and beer barrels, among other things. Between 1988 and 1999 plans were made to renovate the sawmill. The rise of electricity had made it largely obsolete and the Stichting de Sterremolen (Sterremolen Foundation) was established to prevent the demolition of this 'cultural-historical monument'. The mill was re-opened on 22 June 1999 (1). Today, the mill and the yard are used as a meeting and wedding location, as well as a cultural centre with a café and a terrace area. On Saturdays, the mill's sails can sometimes be seen rotating if the winds allow it.
- Utrechtse Stichting voor het Industrieel Erfgoed, 'Houtzaagmolen De Ster van houthandel De Wit te Utrecht' (15 february 2016), http://www.usine-utrecht.nl/houtzaagmolen-de-ster-lombok